Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Two-for-Tuesday!!! Chicken Casserole and Cobbler

It's Two-For-Tuesday - two recipes in one blog post!  First up, Easy Peasy Chicken Casserole.

WHAT WILL I NEED:

2 cups (or more if desired) shredded rotissiere chicken
1 can stove top stuffing
1 cup chicken broth
1 tub philadelphia cooking cream - savory garlic
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 handfull of crackers (I used cracker minis)

WHAT DO I DO NOW?

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.  While the oven is heating, combine the broth, cream cheese and cream of chicken in a large pan (I used my wok) and warm the mixture over medium-high heat.  When the mixture starts to bubble add the rotissiere chicken and stir until mixed well.  Remove the mixture from the stove and add the stove top stuffing.  The mixture should look very creamy.  Transfer your mixture to a small casserole dish and sprinkle with crushed crackers.  Bake your casserole in the over for 50-60 minutes or until the stuffing begins to brown.  This is a great casserole for leftovers.  I made this dish on Saturday night and served it Sunday afternoon with creamed corn and sauteed green beans.  Mmmm - hmmmm good!




Summer Strawberry Cobbler

Our grocery stores are still selling fresh strawberries like mad.  I couldn't pass up making a delicous strawberry cobbler, just like mom used to make.  Cobblers are one of THE easiest desserts to make.  You probably already have all of the ingredients - just go buy some fresh fruit and you're on your way to yummy town!

WHAT WILL I NEED?

1 cup of self rising flour
1 cup of milk
1 cup of sugar
1/2 stick of butter
2 cups of fresh sliced strawberries
2 tbsp of sugar
1 tbsp of lemon juice (or lemonade)

Cobblers are generally made in equal amounts (1 cup, 1 cup, 1 cup) but my husband LOVES fresh fruit desserts, so I double up on the fruit.

WHAT DO I DO NOW?

Slice your strawberries and mix in 2 tbsp of sugar and 1 tbsp of lemon juice or lemonade (I used lemonade and it tastes delish).  Set this mixture aside.  Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl combine the flour and sugar and stir in the milk.  Set this aside as well.  The mixture will look quite runny.  That's okay. 

Spray a casserole dish with pam and melt the stick of butter in the microwave (many recipes recommend using your oven for this, but I've found that the microwave works just as well and I'm all about easy!)  Add your sugar, flour and milk mixture to the butter that has been melted in your casserole dish.  Finally, spoon (don't mix) the strawberries over the mixture that is now in the casserole dish.

 Bake for 60-90 minutes or until your cobbler is golden brown and bubbling. 



I recommend eating cobbler warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.  This dessert is a hit.  I have a feeling it won't be around long and I'll have to make a mid-week dessert to get my husband through until my next round of baking (which is typically Sunday).

Enjoy your Two-for-Tuesday treats!!  Let me know if you try them and if you have any comments, questions or suggestions.

Happy baking!!

2 comments:

  1. I love the chicken cassarole recipe, but how do we make it healthier- use lowfat soup, cream and stuff? Or just don't make it unless it's a special time? I have to start cooking now and I need recipes that will aid my weight loss, but I am soooo tired of grilled chicken!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great way to make this casserole more healthy would be to use fat free cream of chicken soup and substitute the philadelphia cooking cream with another can of soup (fat free cream of chicken or cream of mushroom). You can also use 1 cup of water instead of chicken broth - but that won't save a lot of calories - just a few.

    ReplyDelete